Got a question about Moreton Island? Then check our list of Frequently Asked Questions below or feel free to contact us with your question.
- What if I lose my Micat vehicle ticket?
No worries, we use a manifest to board, so you can just advise the crew of your first and last name, or you can login to your account here [https://bookings.moretonislandadventures.com.au/login] and download your ticket again.
- How long does it take to get to Moreton Island on the Micat?
Approximately 90 minutes and of course the return trip is the same!
- What if I get bogged?
Dig the sand from underneath the tyres and let your tyres down more. Once you have dug everything out make sure that you move the vehicle backwards and if you have movement fill and even all sand holes. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to be towed and/or have additional services difficulties, there is a rescue service on the island, provided by Lindsay Roberts. You can contact Lindsay on 0414 949876 or 3408 3545. Charges apply.
- What if I need to call assistance to be towed?
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to be towed you will need to contact Lindsay Roberts on 0414 949876 or 3408 3545. Charges apply.
- What if I see an injured animal?
If you find an injured animal, please report this to National Parks on 137 468 and they will be able to assist you.
- What if I want to stay longer on Moreton Island?
Just login to your account here [https://bookings.moretonislandadventures.com.au/login], click Upcoming Bookings, click View Booking, then Edit.
Make sure there is space to change your booking here [https://bookings.moretonislandadventures.com.au/ferry-booking] first !
- What if I run out of fuel?
Petrol and Diesel are sold on Moreton Island at the Castaways store at Bulwer in 20 litre jerry cans.
- What if I need fire wood?
As Moreton Island is a national park you cannot use the island’s natural wood. Fire wood can be purchased from the Castaways store at Bulwer.
- What if I need to buy groceries?
There is a general store on Moreton Island, you can purchase all your holiday essentials from Castaways located in Bulwer around a 20 minute drive north of the Micat landing point.
- What if I haven’t booked my vehicle or/and camping permits?
All permits are required to be purchased prior to travelling to the island. If National Parks ask to see your permits and you do not have one, you will incur a fine. If you are on board the Micat and haven’t booked a vehicle permit please contact National Parks on 13 74 68 to make a permit booking. All vehicle and camping permits blank tags are on board the Micat on the display walls on the middle deck.
- What if I get lost on Moreton Island?
You will find all emergency contact numbers on your confirmation emailed to you. We recommend collecting a map onboard the Micat before disembarking.
- Where is Castaways located?
Castaways store and accommodation is located in the small township of Bulwer. This township is roughly a 20 minute drive north from where the Micat lands on Moreton Island.
- What does Castaways sell?
The Castaways store is open 5-6 days a week depending on the time of year. Please note trading hours vary during peak and selected periods. You can buy all your holiday essentials including fuel, firewood, ice, bait, gas, alcohol, a selection of grocery items and basic recovery gear.
- Where does Micat land on Moreton Island?
The Micat lands directly on the beach and drops passenger and vehicles off next to the Wrecks, on the western side of the island (see map for more information).
- Where can I buy ice?
Ice can be purchased from the Castaways store at Bulwer around a 20 minute drive from the Micat landing point or on board the Micat.
- Can I take alcohol on board the Micat?
Yes! Micat is a fully licensed vessel, so you cannot drink your own alcohol during the trip, but you can take alcohol for later consumption. The good news is that the bar on the Micat opens at 9am!
- Where can I hire snorkel gear on Moreton Island?
Snorkelling gear can be hired on a daily or hourly basis from Tangalooma Resort, which is a 20 minute walk from The Wrecks.
- I have booked for extra people in my car but they are returning a different day. What do I do?
No problems, just login to your account here [https://bookings.moretonislandadventures.com.au/login], click Upcoming Bookings, click View, and Edit Booking on the booking you would like to edit. Click ‘Add / Remove A Passenger Ticket’ and follow the prompts.
- What if I lose my Micat vehicle ticket?
- I have booked for extra people and paid for them but they are no longer coming to the island. What do I do?
No problems, just login to your account here [https://bookings.moretonislandadventures.com.au/login], click Upcoming Bookings, click ‘View’, and ‘Edit Booking’ on the booking you would like to edit. Click ‘Add / Remove A Passenger Ticket’ and follow the prompts.
- How much luggage can I take with me on the Micat if I am walking on?
3 pieces of luggage per person e.g. esky, chair, bag. If you have additional baggage, you will be charged $5 per additional item. Sorry, leave your luggage trolleys at home, they won’t co-operate on the sand anyway!
- Do you have access to luggage trolleys?
Sorry no luggage trolleys.
- Can I snorkel the wrecks unattended?
You do not require a guide to snorkel around the wrecks however we recommend that you are a confident swimmer and snorkel around 30 minutes before the high or low tide, aiming to be back on the beach 30 minutes after the high or low tide. At high and low tide the current becomes “slack” and you will have the best visibility and the least current pulling you. If you are unsure of your swimming ability we recommend you book a tour with our mates at Sunset Safaris.
- Do you have secure parking?We do offer secure parking at $15 per day, our gates are only open when our premises are attended and we have security cameras on site. Please note parking can only be arranged on the day of travel and can not be pre-booked.
- Can I take a quad bike/motor bike?Unfortunately only registered quad bikes to land holders are permitted on the island. As Moreton Island is a national park they do not permit motor bikes even if it is a registered road or dirt bike.
- Can I take my pet to Moreton Island?Unfortunately as Moreton Island is a national park only residential dogs and cats are permitted as they are a part of a land holder’s property.
- Lost propertyIf you have any lost property on board the Micat or on Moreton Island please contact our office on 07 3909 3333 to report the item missing.
- Where do I buy sand boards from?Sand boards are sold on board the Micat or at the Castaways store located at Bulwer around a 20 minute drive from the Micat landing point on Moreton Island..
- Where can I purchase bait?Bait can be purchased at the Castaways store located at Bulwer around a 20 minute drive from the Micat landing point on Moreton Island.
- Do you have secure parking?